Integrating Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion best practices into your department’s culture can lead to improved outcomes for underrepresented faculty.
“[UW ADVANCE] has played a major role in advocating for diversity in my department's faculty recruiting and in changing people’s mind using scientific evidence about the role of bias in recruiting and evaluating and the benefits of diverse faculty and students”
- Faculty Recruitment & Hiring - offering advice on finding diverse candidates, selecting search committees, handling dual career candidates, and evaluation of search processes to ensure a high degree of excellence.
- Faculty Retention & Work/Life - improving departmental climate, providing career development resources, sharing faculty resources on campuses, supporting flexible policies and practices, and consulting with faculty and chairs to identify barriers to retention.
- Mentoring - offering resources and support for faculty at all ranks to improve mentoring skills, and offering group mentoring opportunities for women faculty, pre-tenure faculty, and emerging faculty leaders.
- Faculty Professional Development - workshops for faculty at all ranks (pre-tenure, mid-career, and full) that provide opportunities for networking, sharing best practices, finding funding, and honing their leadership skills.
- Institutional Transformation - efforts that transform the culture and climate of the entire institution.
Other UW ADVANCE DEI Initiatives
LEAD-it-Yourself! provides expertly-researched strategies for increasing diversity and inclusion in STEM faculty. Find crowd-sourced guides, templates, and reference materials all in one place.
Interrupting Bias in the Faculty Search Process
A film and facilitation guide that supplies the tools you need to facilitate a discussion about diversity in hiring at colleges and universities.