This page contains information about LiY! best practices and workshop tools.
LiY! Best Practices
LiY! Workshop Alignment Chart
The Workshop Alignment Chart will help you assess how well your workshop practices align with the LEAD core values of maximizing participant engagement, learning from peers, and weaving diversity and inclusion into all topics and sessions.
These two-page overview documents are created by the LiY! Team and address key topics from LEAD workshops such as faculty recruitment, mentoring, and work/life balance. These LiY! Primers can be used as workshop handouts. They include brief summaries of relevant research on each topic and small group discussion questions and activities.
Additional LiY! Materials
The LiY! Team has also created other workshop materials such as planning and faciltiation guides and case studies that reflect best practices from the LEAD workshop.
Below are links to tools you will find useful in designing your workshops. These tools reflect LiY!’s philosophy of weaving diversity and inclusion topics throughout all workshops.
- Workshop Creator provides a tool for building workshop agendas.
- Facilitation Guides provide resources for helping you plan your workshops.
- Logistical Guides provide information for helping you manage workshop logistics.
- Preferred Providers lists individuals known to deliver high quality talks on bias and STEM.
Our Workshop Creator helps you plan your workshops by making it easy to plan sessions and select resources. We have built LiY! effective practices and tips as well as planning checklists directly into the Workshop Creator.
Our facilitation guides present key information to help you plan and execute your workshops. The guides highlight core LiY! workshop facilitation principles and provide goals and concrete facilitation steps to take during your workshops.
- Facilitation Concepts
- Facilitating Small Group Activities
- Facilitating Keynote Sessions
- Facilitating Case Studies
- Facilitating Panel Sessions
Our logistical guides contain information on how to manage workshop event logistics. They include information on attendee management, speaker biographies, and workshop logistics.
The following is a list of "Preferred Providers" who deliver high quality keynote presentations on bias. They may be available to give this foundational presentation at your workshop if your campus lacks a presenter or facilitator with expertise in this area. Please discuss travel costs and consulting fees with Preferred Providers directly.
Presenters Affiliated with LEAD
- Professor Sapna Cheryan: scheryan(at)uw.edu
- Professor Cheryl Kaiser: ckaiser(at)uw.edu
- Professor Marjorie Olmstead: olmstd(at)uw.edu
- Professor Kecia Thomas: kthomas(at)uga.edu
- Professor Eve Riskin: riskin(at)uw.edu
- Dr. Joyce Yen: joyceyen(at)uw.edu